It is unfortunate that with the natural ageing process, the intervertebral discs lose their strength and flexibility and shock absorbing capabilities. Owing to the natural wear and tear, these discs are not able to support the strain and pressure that the person undergoes during his routine. Almost, each one of us goes through this issue at some point.
The symptoms of degenerative disc disease depend on exactly where the weak or damaged disc is or if there are any alterations that this has brought. The symptoms that may indicate that the patient might be suffering from this problem are:
- Sharp or persistent pain in the back or neck
- The pain keeps coming and going; can be extreme or nagging
- The pain can last for days or even continue for months
- Worsens when the patient sits or tried to bend or lift something but is better while moving, walking or lying down
- Sometimes, Degenerative Disc disease can bring along numbing or tingling sensation in the arms or legs
- Causes weakness in the leg muscles
In order to diagnose this problem, the doctors perform a complete physical examination, with special focus on back and lower regions. The doctors also test the range of motion, flexibility and the amount of pain the patient is going through. Tests like X-rays, MRI scans or CT scans are done to evaluate the exact condition.
The choices for degenerative disc disease treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms and the amount of damage. The available treatment methods are:
- Medications – Pain relievers can help the patients get relief from inflammation, can lower the swelling and muscle spasms. If required, the doctors might prescribe stronger drugs
- Physical Therapy – In maximum cases, medications and physical therapy prove very beneficial for the patients. There are specific exercises and postures that help in keeping the pain lower and bring more strength and flexibility to the muscles
- Steroid shots – These are strong doses of medications to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. The doctor may recommend an epidural shot in the back or in the nerve or muscle
- Surgery – When the above mentioned treatment methodologies do not prove fruitful, then doctors may suggest a surgical option. A procedure known as Discectomy, in which the damaged or injured part of the disc is removed, which helps in taking the pressure off the nerves. In some cases, the surgeons might get rid of the whole disc and insert an artificial one or in another form of surgery, the surgeons might fuse or permanently join the bones in the spine after removing the disc
The above mentioned treatment options are surely very effective but the cost factor involved can also make a lot of difference for several patients. With the rising healthcare expenditure, the treatment expenses associated with every medical specialty is soaring up. This makes it difficult for the patients to avail the advanced surgical techniques. This is where India is proving a very rewarding treatment destination for patients across the globe. For example, the cost of Spinal Fusion procedure in India is $5,500 whereas the same surgery costs $62,000, $70,000 and $65,000 in USA, Thailand and UK, respectively. Similarly, for degenerative disc Disease surgery in India the patients have to shell a much lesser amount of money as compared to that required in other countries.
Dheeraj Bojwani Consultants can be of major assistance in India
In the matter of Spinal treatment and surgeries in India, Dheeraj Bojwani Consultant, the leading medical tourism service provider in India, can serve in the best ways to the international patients.
- This consultant has the top spine and neuro surgery hospitals and doctors, as a part of their well established network, where the treatment can be planned for the medical tourists
- We ensure the most affordable degenerative disc disease surgery in India
- Everything from the medical visa to hotel arrangements, pick up and drop and hospital formalities, is looked after by us
- The most progressive options for degenerative disc disease treatment are made available by us to our patients
- We follow an extremely transparent and ethical approach keeping the patients’ comfort on priority
- We ensure that the patients do not have face the issue of lengthy wait list
- We have other services like:
- video consultation with the specialists
- language translation services for ease of communication
- excellent vacation plans to the most beautiful tourist locations of India
We put our best foot forward to make the lives of these patients easier by guiding them appropriately towards the best kinds of treatment facilities in India. One can contact with the consultant via firstname.lastname@example.org or by helpline number +91 9860755000.